Thursday, June 21, 2007

Draupadi

X told me recently that my blog’s a bore.
I tend to agree.
I find it pretty boring to come here myself.

X’s logic?
My blog doesn’t have pictures.
(Now you know why I have called him X.)

Sad.
Today if you have a mobile phone,
you’re a photographer.
And can talk at length on skies.
On flora and fauna.
On composition.
And lighting.

But never one to give up easy,
I have decided to have photographs.
Yup.
Me, yes.

But unlike the phonegrapher,
I need a subject.
I need an idea.

Much thought.

Draupadi.
This woman has always fascinated me.
She’s Shakti herself,
having risen fully-grown from the yagna kund.

She’s a paradox.
For trying to strip her, a lusty Dushasana gets a death warrant.
But Ashwatthama, after he slays her five kids, she pardons.

On the one hand, she’s the voiceless Bharateeya naari.
When she’s distributed among five testosterone-dripping, heavily sighing brothers who have been alone in the jungles for some time now, she doesn’t utter a word.
On the other, she’s a feminist’s flagship brand.
“Polygamy? Pah!”

Imagine, a five-day week.
And on the weekend, you hunt for roots and berries.

You got to hand it to the lady.

And she’s the subject of my photo feature.
Here goes.




Honest.
This is not a Photoshop job.
It exists.

11 comments:

  1. Ooh. Ooh. This can make people rampage and burn buses. Somehow burning buses makes all ills alright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 socket multi-plug she may have been, but at least she didn't put her personal comfort above the needs of others. For example, you wouldn't catch her refusing to bring back beef pickle to the starving masses, simply because she couldn't be bothered to check it in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you.
    And a stranger!
    Wow. Am reaching out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. all hail the President, well connected is she, draupadi be damned, a surname lacked she, a yadav a patil the thing to be, if i had her jugs, rupa ganguli i'd be, not a bad rhyming bbababc, but it's nine and the rum speaks through me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe!! Fantastic!! Superb !! Who could have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If a person, or two read; wouldn't it be enough reason to write?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Point to you, lady.
    If indeed I am speaking to myself, why speak aloud?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This guy sure knows his mythology ;-)

    ReplyDelete